Red Balloon Technology Ltd
Alphomism - a belief system for our times.
alphomism questions explanations morality supernature predictions government forum
Welcome to the Alphomism Forums
Navigation : Alphomism Forums : Humanism
 Current Replies for "Humanism"
  Humanism Peter Osborne
Posted: 12/3/2007

Hi Richard, I hope you are well. Can you give an idea how much alphomism has in common with humanism (even perhaps just a percentage), and what are the key differences if any.
All the best, Peter.
  Re: Humanism Richard
Posted: 13/3/2007

Peter,

Thanks for the message - and yes, I'm very well - hope you are too.

Good question! It prompted me to Google 'humanism' just to make sure I am starting from the right base and a quick perusal of http://www.jcn.com/humanism.php4 shows just how tricky the field is!

Anyway, I turned to the Wikipedia link and got:

'Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appeal to universal human qualities—particularly rationalism. Humanism is a component of a variety of more specific philosophical systems, and is incorporated into several religious schools of thought. Humanism entails a commitment to the search for truth and morality through human means in support of human interests. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, humanism rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or divinely revealed texts. Humanists endorse universal morality based on the commonality of human nature, suggesting that solutions to human social and cultural problems cannot be parochial.'

The fact that the essentially non-dogmatic creed of humanism is 'incorporated into several religious schools of thought' adds to the confusion.

However...the bit of the Wikipedia definition which applies to Alphomism is: 'Humanism entails a commitment to the search for truth and morality through human means in support of human interests. In focusing on the capacity for self-determination, humanism rejects the validity of transcendental justifications, such as a dependence on faith, the supernatural, or divinely revealed texts.'

Where the two approaches diverge is in the use of such formulations as: 'Humanists endorse universal morality based on the commonality of human nature'

In my view this is simply too vague. What is the 'commonality of human nature'? Does it apply to torturers, despots, genocidal dictators?

Alphomism is an attempt to minimise vagueness. Unlike most (all?) forms of humanism it tries to explain the hows, whys and wherefores of existence. It is rooted in science but acknowledges that the mental aspect of existence is just as important as the physical.

I would submit that Alphomism goes much deeper and further than do most versions of humanism. Slogans such as 'The end of man is man' or the allusion to 'the commonality of human nature' explain very little and in any case are in need of justification.

It's difficult to provide the percentage which you ask for! Taking secular rather than religious humanism as the standard then there's maybe a 30/40 per cent overlap. Something like that...

Hope this helps!

Richard.

Re: Humanism Peter Osborne
Posted: 15/3/2007

Thanks for that, even 30-40 percent is a good start. I feel common ground between all these belief systems is important for the future. We must chat some time.
Posted: 16/3/2007

Peter,

I would much welcome a dialogue. I have asked my esteemed web master to add a 'contact' facility to this site so that communication will be possible without revealing personal email addresses. I'll add another message to this thread once the deed is done.

Best wishes,

Richard.
Posted: 18/3/2007

Peter,

As you will see, there's now a 'contact us' facility at the bottom of each page. If you would still like to get in touch, please do!

Richard.

Contact Us